1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

Lifespan of Threads: No Necromancers allowed

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos ♛First Elder of the Nation♛
    Official Member

I know that there are very popular threads here that are as old as the site, and some that aren't that old but end up with new people popping up questions or opinions 'bout 'em once in a while.
    But most threads have their moment to shine(or not) and after that they become like a lake, stagnant 'till someone new searches for 'em or is just browsing 'round and finds 'em, then the person ends up ressurecting something that was dormant for months or even a year.But the thing is that usually they have nothing new to add to the thread, mostly they just post a short phrase 'bout it or 'bout something that has nothing to do with the thread at all.

So, why not set a time for threads to be "closed" after they become stagnant?I don't mean to delete 'em, just to lock 'em up so no one can post anything after.
    Here are some suggestions:

1.Very popular threads or threads that deal with things that are considered very important to the community(such as knowledge that most of us doesn't have or stuff that most people like a lot) should be kept open and maybe even "featured" on their respective sections.

2.A newly made thread should be able to have a "lifespan" of 2 or 3 months.It could be more, but it should not go over 6 months.Depending on how much "interaction" it has weekly the thread's lifespan could be shorter or longer, for example if at least one person per week writes on the thread, you could let the thread be open for two more weeks, after the thread was "alive" by 2 months.

3.Threads like the ones from the Laboratory section should be left open, the ones from the discussion section though would depend on how much interaction people had with the thread.A few discussions really are interesting, while others have nothing new to add.

Varric

Varric Staff Manager

Makes sense. I've seen a lot of Internet sites do similar things. Its common practice.

But I'm new i don't think my say should really matter as it hasnt been an issue to me in the like 2 days ive been here.

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

I dont think necro-ed threads is such a big deal in all honesty if the person or person(s) have more to say let them it's not a big deal, you comment on them regardless if they're necro-ed threads or not, a lot of us do. Necro'ed threads should be the least of your worries, priorities mate.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

It bothers a bit, but I just wanted to suggest something.No big deal.

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

I can understand that, albeit you do tend to comment on necro'ed threads too, I think necro threads are fine if it's helpful, but if not then it would be a waste. The admins didn't make a rule against necro'ing threads just yet. Atleast I dont think, but yeah I just don't see a big issue with it. I suppose others might.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

I comment on 'em only when someone brings 'em up from the dead, and usually I call 'em out for necroing the threads.

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

That's still helps in necro'ing a thread :p otherwise it would just disappear again lol.

Michael Chaney
    Cheerful

Michael Chaney Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Words are alive in and of themselves. Psi follows life and life finds a way. The internet is only one example of how to use words. If you understand the life of words, then you can lead words in ways that make the physical code of the website and everything written in it independent of the internet some day taken to other world's and other realms as a physical being. Locking threads is like ending lines of thought.

Telepaths are able to communicate as part of any conversation regardless of space and time. If telepaths of the future come here to participate in a conversation they enjoyed person to person in a person to physical to person link that reinforces their person conversation, then leaving a thread open isn't that hard.

Entanglement requires doing an experiment on entangled photons and sending a conversation over a conventional channel. Think of telepathy across time as entangled gravity waves and the loss of the conventional channel here means the loss of entire telepathic channels. Academia has been around since words were first written. Thousands of years of words open to everyone. In science humans have been around millions of years. The telepathic density of conversation is higher in modern world from how well words survive as written. Everything in pre history is lost in nearly every case except oral tradition. The weigh of telepathy lost from our ancestors is enormous and our ignorance of that is frightening. So continue with the telepathic downward spiral across human history if you want.

LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

This has nothing to do with the thread. (Please delete this if you delete his post)

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

Please read the thread before commenting because I dont see any connection to the thread with this wall of text x.x

Varric and LinRae like this.
    Michael Chaney
    Cheerful

Michael Chaney Senior Citizen
    Official Member

My previous Wall of Text means essentially how messages can travel in time. Pointing out that messages stay alive by being useful have a nice day.

LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

You used a pointless babble on telepathy to say that?

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

Why not just say what you want to say instead of writing a lot to mean nothing?

ShadowNox
    Darkness

ShadowNox Senior Citizen
    Official Member

LMAO I'm crying. That was so pointless omfg, lord help me.

On another note, most forums have rules against necro'ing threads but I figure that if it isn't problematic, might as well not do anything.

Zerachiel likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

Can you repeat that in English ?

LinRae likes this.
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

I don't know why, but I always thought that this site had rules against necro'ing.That's what happens when you don't read the rules :p
    Ye 'ol English, savvy? xD

TheMightyBurger
    Question

TheMightyBurger Citizen

I dont think threads should be locked after some time cause some ppl may actually have sth interesting to say. After all, necro'ing ain't much of a big deal.

Zerachiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.