1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

List of Legits(LoL)

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos ♛First Elder of the Nation♛
    Official Member

Just a 'lil suggestion that isn't exactly a suggestion, maybe more like...an advice?

Either in the mentor section-probably best place-or in the "student" section, or somewhere the staff think it's more suitable, put a list/post of members of the site that claimed to know/be able to do something and what are the abilities that they claim to have/know.The catch is that every thing under/beside their name would've been confirmed by a group of staff or a group of the most experienced members.

This way, not only the members of the list would be recognized as legit byt the community-as they WOULD have to offer proof to the group that would judge 'em-but it would make it easier for newbies to search for a mentor.They would search the list for someone that knows what they want to learn, and they would just need to ask 'em through a PM if they could teach or not.If the answer was positive, then they would have a legit mentor with 'em, but if it wasn't then they would need to ask for a mentor that could also be legit or not.

I don't really think that this suggestion will be used, but i still think that it's a good one.

Mammon

Mammon Senior Citizen
    Official Member

There is actually a banner button option thing that we have in place already that says "mentor" or something similar to how theres one that says "staff"

The issues with it is only an admin can apply it and several people who had it really shouldn't have had it or have gone inactive and are no longer here so its just not really relevant.

A novel idea one i wish we could have just people get wayyyy to salty when they think they can do something but then are told they're just imagining it. Which they usually are. Or are asked to prove it and then can't. Or cant provide a valid explanation on how they do it. So yea

Zerachiel likes this.
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

In here the corrupt did a trial of sorts where they tried to explain why one of our past Presidents was corrupt, and they didn't have any evidence for it, but as the lawyer said, they had "CONVICTION" of it, ergo, he "is corrupt just 'cause we believe".
    "No one needs to prove a thing when they have conviction of it!"

Mammon

Mammon Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Yea cept i personally believe that if you can't explain what you're doing you shouldn't really be teaching it.

The Wanderer

The Wanderer Citizen
    Official Member

I claim the sole right to teach the art of 'Wandering' (TM).

I would be in full support of a list of members and 'confirmed' skills, but the issue lies in vetting said list. We would need specific people who themselves are confirmed and trustable, (which may not be too big an issue,) but they then have to take time to sit down with each individual and their claim to vet them.

I am not saying it's impossible, just difficult to carry out.
    +1 though, since I like the concept.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

This is one of the main problems that i think of when i think 'bout mentors in here.Everybody seems a bit shadowy and evasive with their answers, and this kind of create an air of "mistery" around 'em, but when it comes to the "how to" they always seem to have a problem with being direct and precise with their info.

This would be a "vicious cycle".I mean, if we were to get the list, i did notice that the group that would see if someone was legit, would also need to be showed as legit.And many of the experienced folks here don't seem too interested in doing this, so the entire thing would never work actually.

The Wanderer likes this.
    Solar Seeker
    Daring

Solar Seeker Senior Citizen
    Official Member

It's not that hard actually. The way it's typically done is by reputation. Find one person who's skill you know and trust. Then ask them who else has skill.

In practice you get a group of people who's scanning is good. Then you have them all watch one person demonstrate their abilities. This gives a good baseline.

To someone with a decent skill in scanning it'll quickly become apparent not only who has power and who doesn't, but also how much they have.

In a short time especially in a place like this you'll develop a good group of people who can vouch for the abilities of others.

On house of ancients the rule was everyone teaches everyone learns. If you know the ability then demonstrate it so that others can learn from you. You learn and practice with a LOT of people and learn many different techniques for each skill.

#7 Solar Seeker, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Mammon

Mammon Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Issue A
    Reputation is based on popularity not skill.

A popular person may be unskilled and vice versa.

Issue B
    There aren't enough valid scanners here to be feasible and too many people don't know their own system well enough to actually accurately say one way or another.

Issue C
    Yup it is but then people disagree and it becomes an issue if you tell them something they don't wanna hear

Issue D:
    No in a short time if you implement the above you kill the site.

Idk what house of ancients is but that doesn't really work well with the people here its been tried before in oec people bitched and whined the site wasn't letting them express themselves.

Perses Keraunos and Zerachiel like this.
    The Wanderer

The Wanderer Citizen
    Official Member

Mammon said it too quickly... I was pretty much saying the same, but addressing more of the counter arguments for it. I get that by reputation you are aiming towards people generally seen as credible by the larger community, but as Abaddon said earlier, demonstrable proof should be required, but most are reluctant to show it.

I would be interested in seeing an attempt at one though. Would at least be interesting to look at.

TeddyB

TeddyB Citizen
    Official Member

I will point out two things,

1) Those That Know Don't Say, and Those That Say Don't Know.

This is true, I have observed that in groups of diversely capable people. it usually serves ones interest to not be known for being the one with skills. 99% of the time people want you to do their homework for them and "Just Fix It" without having to think. in the IT field I have had to deal with that b.s. to such an extreme degree. that if I'm in a group chat room. I almost NEVER help people. it's not a selfish thing, and the funny thing is I DO help people. and GO WAY out of my way to do so. but the person has to be needing real help. if they have been in room after room after room. and you throw them a quick answer and a link to documentation, and they are like, I tried that. and these are the results.. then you'll get help. cuz your trying and not just looking to have your ass wiped.. now where I'm going with this is in community groups. a person lets people know they have skills, and all the sudden they are bombarded with constant request for scans and dives and spar and whatever the fuck, and you try to help somebody, and they aren't listening, they're not doing their homework. they are just trying to waltz through everything with a blindfold on. the point being, it usually doesn't behoove the ones who know to say, and usually the ones boasting about what all they can do, simply can't.

2) It's PROBABLY not all that smart to go around telling or displaying abilities to everybody. at best they'll refuse to see and acknowledge. at worst you fall into a very unsavory group that wishes to harness said power as a weapon and take a "If I can't have it, nobody will..." kinda attitude to the whole thing. If a person actually developed advanced skills, showing everybody is probably not going to be on their agenda, cuz that's how people disappear... seriously...

#10 TeddyB, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    IlmirEl likes this.
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

A:This seems like the biggest issue, we do seem to have a bit of "celebrity-cult" in here, where those that seems more skilled-and their "inner circle"-are lauded as legit.I know that therer are many things with psionics that can't really be showed 'cause of certain reasons, mostly 'cause there aren't cameras that can capture energy, but what 'bout those(abilities) that can be showed?

C:Yeah, this could become-or already is-a major problem.Specially when it's 'bout 'kin, but i didn't see people complain when their skills are considered "worse" than they believed.

D:Lol, isn't "kill the site" a bit dramatic?

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

1) Not everyone follows this "rule".Some people don't know and don't say, while others know and do say.The thing is that saying and doing are two different things.As for the "constant requests for scans, dives and etc." aren't you exagerating a bit?Of course that in a community, those that don't know will want the input of the ones that do know, and of course we'll have those that want to be spoon-feed everything.But i believe that most in this community just want guidance, not to be spoon-feed(i can be wrong 'bout this part though).

2)Someone has been on ATS too much...

Mammon

Mammon Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Two words:

Elysium meadow.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

Never went to the site, so i don't really know what happened to it.Nor what it really was 'bout :p

Mammon

Mammon Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Its a site that died from never getting a population base then its management all gave up or left or whatever. A leading factor in its dying was it actually asking people to explain their beliefs instead of just being all willynilly accepting of everything. People don't like having to explain what they can't do. And when you actually make people do such you realize how few people have any credibility to what they say and then you no longer have a site.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

People can't be that weak-minded...right?I mean, a lot of people can't do a lot of stuff, and this-or admiting this-doesn't make 'em (rage)quit their lives.So why it should be different with psionics?

Solar Seeker
    Daring

Solar Seeker Senior Citizen
    Official Member

I don't understand. If there are so many requests for scans then why not teach people to scan, and then teach them to learn by observation?

Seriously the basics aren't that hard. The foundational skills that everyone should know. Sensing energy, basic energy balls, other shapes, programming, obtaining energy signatures, simple constructs,scanning,grounding,shielding,clearing,centering.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

I don't think that everyone that wants a scan CAN learn it, or even want to learn how to do it.'Cause if they all could, or if they all did their best to learn it, we would have much more scanners and almost no one asking to be scanned.
    Most people seems to be more concerned of learning EM and then focusing on either projecting or on the kinetics.

TeddyB

TeddyB Citizen
    Official Member

The thing your NOT taking into account is that the IDEA of PSIONICS resonates with people. on spiritual levels, on personal levels, on aspirational levels. "The Force" just sounds cool. kinda like ninja's sound cool. but very few people have it within them to go through the rigors of training at either skill set. they want the goods, but they don't want it BAD ENOUGH to actually go out and get it. to do what the HAVE to do to get it. to lose sleep over it. or cut out time from the very little personal time that most of us get. it just isn't THAT IMPORTANT...

So that being said. we have to accept that a LARGE PORTION of the OEC and OEC LIKE communities is just infatuated with the IDEAS of psionics way more than actually sitting down and doing the training, so they spend their time TALKING about, fantasizing about, envisioning, they BECOME their character. in their minds they are grandiose. and most are grotesquely wanting. I count myself in with the lot of grotesquely wanting. I have yet to achieve many of my goals. through failure in discipline or wanting it enough. but over time I have made corrections, efforts, I have defiantly grown from what I was. but I make that conscious effort to try more than I don't. and I make progress. this doesn't mean that I am anything special. it's just HOW BAD YOU WANT IT. and how HONEST you are with yourself.

MOST people are VERY dishonest with themselves. they believe things there is STARK evidence against often blindly to maintain an egocentric view. because of this, they are actually VERY apt to rage quit the WEBSITE that makes them adhere to evidence they would rather not see. and will instead favor the communities that will cater to whatever whimsical concept they choose to conjure.

The Wanderer and Mammon like this.
    Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

I think you give scanning way too much hype, anyone can scan it's not a skill that only a few can, it's just not many care to, they rather aim for physical proof such as manipulating fire and such then relying on something that could be faulty like a scan. Sadly psionics has not reached a milestone where it's all that worth aiming for stuff like that, atleast to me, more of just a hobby thing.

TeddyB likes this.