1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

Mentor rating thread

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

?

Do you think this is a good idea?

1. Yes

70.6%
  2. Kinda

17.6%
  3. Maybe

5.9%
  4. Not really

5.9%
  5. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

@Baal Domiel We have a thread in the scanning section to rate the scans we get from other members. Why not implement the same thing for the people offering mentor services?

This will help people to find good mentors for the things they need help with, rather than finding someone who is as skilled or less than the person looking for help.

#1 LinRae, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos ♛First Elder of the Nation♛
    Official Member

How would this even work?

I'll just list some issues with this idea:
    1-The best option would actually get the people that are acknowledged by majority of the community as legit, and ask 'em to rate the mentors.Since they already know and use it(abilities) then they would have a good idea if something "taught" to 'em would work, or if the mentor was teaching/doing the right thing.
    2-If we depended on just the "ratings" byt the "students", we would take a while to see which ones would be good mentors.Not all mentors teach the same thing or at the same pace, and sometimes we can have cases where the mentors CAN teach but the students can't or don't want to learn or the mentors CAN'T teach and the students can't really tell it.
    3-People could be biased when rating.
    4-People could make things up(for good or bad) and this would be linked to the mentor's reputation.

RockShan and Zerachiel like this.
    LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

All these same things can be said for the scan rating thread. That started off as a suggestion just like this and was still done. Are you saying that the scanner rating should now be abolished?

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos ♛First Elder of the Nation♛
    Official Member

Scannings are fast, once the scanner decided to do 'em.They do the scan, send you the results and you just have to rate 'em, but mentors are different.For it to be fast we would need to rate a mentor based in just one lesson, but some people take a while to understand or get the results.Sometimes the mentor isn't that good teaching 'bout ability A but it's great when teaching 'bout ability B.
    There are too much stuff that woulld need to happen, could happen and should happen, for a rating system to be able to be the "guide" in how to choose a mentor.

Chocolate and Zerachiel like this.
    ShadowNox
    Darkness

ShadowNox Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Yeah it can be said about the scan rating thread too but that doesn't instantly wipe away the problems from either thing. It just goes to show that both of these ideas are still a bit problematic - how would you account for the problems Abbadon raised?

Zerachiel likes this.
    LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Those same problems are still there with the scan rating thread. In fact, there's someone (the only one who got 5 positive reviews so far) who is currently being badmouthed all over the site right now about his scanning skills. Even by those who gave them a positive review.

1. This is a bad idea. Someone who was recommended as a mentor by the community could still be a bad mentor. This would be a bad way to pick a 'good' mentor.

2. This same problem is still visible on the scanner thread. So few people offer scans that there aren't very many who got the 5 requisite to get the scanner title. But that 5 requisite still allows to find good scanners.

3. People can be biased when mentoring too, if someone is just biased on the mentoring then it should be visible when one compares the same mentor to other ratings of them. Same is done with the scanning.

4. This still falls under 3.

Blidgu and ClassyAmoeba like this.
    ClassyAmoeba
    Spaced

ClassyAmoeba Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Agreed

ShadowNox
    Darkness

ShadowNox Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Yes, and that is what I said. These problems exist on both threads, if we can't work it out with an already existing thread, how would you fix them with this?
    I'm asking you what you'd do to fix the problems brought up, not if the problems are already present or not.

Zerachiel likes this.
    LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Even with the problems still there, these threads would both serve a good and functional purpose. I don't recall you having such opposition to the scanning thread, why do you have it for this one?

ClassyAmoeba likes this.
    ShadowNox
    Darkness

ShadowNox Senior Citizen
    Official Member

I don't state my opinions on the necessity of threads like this in general. I'll say, though, that I'm neither for nor against this idea. If it is to be implemented, though, I think it'd only be logical to have it work as well as possible. Abbadon presented some issues that could prevent that and so I was curious to see how would have those issues dealt with. If these issues could easily ruin the functionality of the idea, then I don't see a point in implementing it until those issues can be dealt with well enough. Can't say the same for the scanning thread since it already exists.

Zerachiel likes this.
    Pocky
    Notworthy

Pocky Senior Citizen
    Official Member

I agree, great idea. I sign up for a mentor because I expect help, and if I can see they can't help others I may be skeptical on them helping me.

Well, it's like a review on a product or movie. I'm sure you can looks something up and find it's a great product with poor reviews. There will always be those people out to hurt a reputation, but it's something else to look at to be more precautious when approaching these kinds of things. May could prevent some avoidable situations.

Just some of my invalid, "childish" (I'll never get over that) thoughts.

LinRae likes this.