1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

Otherkin and Autism; Be Wary of a Possible Mistake

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Ludwig
    Cynical

Ludwig Senior Citizen
    Official Member

This is not meant to bash anyone, in fact this is meant to help.

Many parts of discovering "otherkin-ness" are also parts of early autism. For example, a person with autism might feel different from others, that all share a link with each other but they are left out. This is common among both Otherkin and the Autistic. I myself feel the same way but I am not Otherkin, I am Autistic.

Be wary my friends! Do some research on autism, and if the finer points that don't relate to Otherkin, and you identify with those points, please consider it. You may, in fact, have autism just as I do.

Of course, it is possible to have autism and be an Otherkin, much like my friend from Baden named Carolus. That is not his name but I changed it so that he might not be ostracized.

Thank you for reading, God bless.

Lyss likes this.
    Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

I know some kin who are autistic, though I can't say I know their situation but they do seem to notice their kin from their autism. Personally I never felt different from others or share a link with others, at least in terms of kinity. That's more of in terms of past lives with others.

Ludwig likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

Autism is well documented and anyone who is autistic likely already knows they are well before they hit an age where they would experience anything related to being kin or understanding their soul enough to be aware they even have one. So yea.

Also autism should never be self diagnosed and i can find a lot of people taking offense to this thread.

Also. Is it really that big of a deal what people identify as?

#3 Varric, Mar 8, 2017
    Grammar Edited by PN Staff: Mar 8, 2017
    LinRae likes this.
    SageYuu
    Sleepy

SageYuu Third Elder of the Nation
    Official Member

Only to other people who can't mind their own business.

It should never be, that I will agree with you on. I also believe this whole apparent relation between otherkin and autism is going to go down a very warped/delusional and potentially dangerous way of thinking. Who ever spawned this 'idea' doesn't realize what they are starting and the damage that they will cause. I wish people would actually THINK for a change.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also I really don't know where this whole... autism and other-kin thing spawned from. My only advice is to not delve into it. It's nothing more than a distraction and generally speaking A LOT of issues are going to pop up. Not just people 'disagreeing', but conflicts in rational conclusions. For the most part they are both ostracized and I can see where you are going with this. However autism and otherkinity are separate things by far. The basis from which I am saying is because I have explored the ideas behind otherkinity and I am autistic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People who are autistic are typically ostracized, and feel a 'awkwardness' around others ( I am speaking from my own personal experiences and what I have observed.). They don't necessarily realize WHY, always. They simply act different due to how they are wired and the fact that it takes them longer to process and realize things/cement things in their thought processes. All Autism is (generally speaking) is a developmental delay.

People who are autistic have to work harder, need repetition in order to grasp things (hence psychologists preaching on and on about 'structure'), and need more time. Don't get me wrong they can be just as fast if not faster than the 'average', society sets. It's just a matter of them understanding what they are doing in depth or easily grasping it based off of their current knowledge/skill base. It's also the same with 'normal' people but for an individual with autism they need to a stronger basic understanding of it in order to process it. It's hard for they to grasp the simple little concepts that allow others to 'perform/function' "smoothly":

1. Which is why social interactions are so important. It's why people who are autistic have problems with sensory overload, especially at a younger age. They don't understand (yet) how to tune out the noise, the sounds around them and try to process it all at once. It's mental multi-tasking to the extreme.

2. People are going to be furious with me from what I am going to say here. They have a hard time 'taking in reality'. I am not saying they are living in a fantasy world but it can very easily lead to those sorts of 'delusions'. It can take them awhile to 'observe' the bigger picture and the world around them. This part I believe is a coping mechanism because they can't handle the large amount of stimuli they can potentially experience.

3. They can't always 'just go' with things as they are doing something but have to understand it.

I'm not sure if I am phrasing this properly but that is my view point on autism and what I can think of off of the top of my head. I am aware there is more to autism but for now it escapes me.

phytas and Osiris like this.
    Osiris
    Question

Osiris Site Mediator
    Official Member

This thread completely changed from last I read it o-o

^ This I have seen to be true also.

phytas
    Blah

phytas Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Honostly your not far off, my friend is autistic and he behaves pretty differently. But, being different and acting different is a whole other thing. Before i started searching into kin stuff i actually went to a psychiatrist to see if i wasnt autistic and making this up(i have lifelong experience with psionics which are random and i didnt call or search for it). But i turnt out to only just be an asshole lmao.

Autism is a disease and easily noticed when someone claims to be something and doesnt want to change their thoughts even when provided evidence otherwise. They make their own little world, and they cannot and dont want to go out of it.

Alot of kin claimers that ive met are more autistic than legit, or have a greatness syndrome. They want to be something.. better without actually doing anything. Be careful of autism yes, but mind that some if not alot of autistic charactestics are also normal for most normal people, especially if you are different.

Edit; my friend has heavy autism, as in he really got it bad. So dont take my points too much at heart.

Shaku likes this.
    Ludwig
    Cynical

Ludwig Senior Citizen
    Official Member

I think you have a misunderstanding of Autism. Every case of autism is unique and often undetectable except for in behaviours. My brain scans do now show typical autistic tendency, whereas I have all of the behavioural and logical symptoms. But I agree with most else.

Varric likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

I really wish people would stop calling autism a disease. It's a mental difference. Not a disease. Nothing is wrong or malfunctioning in an autistic person they're just rocking a different operating system than your average person.

I also wish people with no experience with autism beyond their friend having it who are not psychologist would stop commenting like they know what theyre talking about.

An autistic person is a person. Same as you and me and because the spectrum is so varied you don't actually have the ability to detect who is and who isnt beyond the most obvious of individuals.

This thread has done nothing but sadden me. This will be my last response on it. I just wished to say that people really need to not comment on things they know nothing about.

Killing Time and SageYuu like this.
    LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Technically it's classified as a mental disorder. Which is the term that was created for use when referring to mental illnesses because the term 'mental illness' ended up having such a negative connotation. Like mental retardation has now also been changed because you can't tell folk they or their child had mental retardation anymore, it hurts feelings even though that's what it is.

Varric

Varric Staff Manager

I have yet to meet a person with autism who considers their disorder a disease. Regardless of technical definition.

Nothing in them is functioning wrongly or abmormally. Its functioning differently or out of order.

The psychologist who make up these terms arent autistic themselves for the most part so i don't think they truly should get a final say when they decide to lump a several million individuals many of whom function perfectly fine and excel at their life under some classification that is not only inaccurate but also gives a negative stigma attached.

Shaku likes this.
    LinRae
    Thinking

LinRae Senior Citizen
    Official Member

The 'Psychologist who makes up these terms' is a board of psychologists who review the current terms and make any changes needed for the next edition of the DSM. Plenty of terms have been changed, or even completely removed from older versions of the DSM. In case you didn't realize it, retardation is derived from the French term Late. And illness is a term used when something isn't working properly. Mental retardation, mental lateness. Mental illness, something in the mind doesn't work like 'normal'.

SageYuu
    Sleepy

Official Member

The also always assume how their patients think. All the time. People fail to realize, especially younger individuals on the autism that they react more so on instinct on impulse. It's really, infuriating....

Unfortunately, most of the psychologists are older arrogant men with conceited viewpoints.

Varric likes this.
    phytas
    Blah

phytas Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Didnt read correctly, deleted.

When did i say that hes not a normal human being just like me? Dont put words in my mouth. Also he told me and i accompied him alot of times because hes scared, so i either i misunderstood his psychiatrist words or should i take up on your words? I mean you are a psychiatrist right?

Reply all you want im not going to be part of your SJW adventure.

#13 phytas, Mar 9, 2017
    Grammar Edited by PN Staff: Mar 9, 2017
    LinRae likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

Don't believe i quoted you. So how exactly did i put words in your mouth?

Ludwig
    Cynical

Ludwig Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Actually people with autism such as myself tend to have a degraded physique.

And by definition it is a neurological disease/disorder, if you go by exacts.

LinRae likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

Autism is a spectrum. With mental incapacity on one end and genius on the other.

Mental Disease:
    mental referring to of the mind
    Disease being an abnormal and or defect in normal functioning. Usually chronic or degenerative.

Neurological Disorder i will agree with.

Because a disorder is a difference or deficit in the normal order.

An autistic person doesnt have something you can fix or cure. Its a difference in their psyche. A DIFFERENCE is not a disease.

You cannot actually cure autism. You cannot treat the root cause or change it. You can treat some of the behavioral differences with pills that alter hormone levels and the like to create a more desirable response and you can train the brain to adjust to the whims of society. But you cannot treat the autism itself. And that inability to actually treat the underlying cause is due to it being a part of who they are. A DIFFERENCE not a DISEASE.

SageYuu likes this.
    SageYuu
    Sleepy

Official Member

Finally some one with common sense and a decent amount of intelligence. Now, just don't turn into a Mammon and we'll get along just fine!

Also, with how people on these forums tend to be you might want to link definitions. LITERALLY, it works and makes it harder for them to argue back.

I consider it a challenge and a tool.
    ====================================================================================================
    Offensive meme (open)
    [​IMG]

Ludwig
    Cynical

Ludwig Senior Citizen
    Official Member

According to this logic some forms of cancer are not diseases as they cannot be cured. Autism is degenerative since it causes physiological degredation.

And yes Autism SPECTRUM Disorder is a spectrum. But higher functionioning -=- genius. Genius is a very specific IQ level. I have HFA and I am considered borderline genius, not genius. I think you need to do nore research on this side.

phytas and LinRae like this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

I was making a comparison and i wasn't referring to the higher functioning being the genius. I was making a statement saying it can manifest both ways.

Autism isn't a disease for the reasons i have already stated. I never said a disease had to be cured to be a disaese. Many diseases cant be cured as of now. But they have the potential to be because we can treat the disease itself.

You can treat the cause of those cancers. The rogue cells that go cancerous. You can treat that.

You can't directly treat autism.

As for physiologically degeneration. You do realize autism doesnt cause that. It doesn't cause Muscle dystrophy or affect physical development at all. Just mental. Which in part can cause motor issues which can cause physical processes to be offset and affect it that way but thats it. If your physiology is degrading as well thats another issue on top of the autism. Or is due to the motor cortex having an impaired development. But that wouldn't be degenerative. It would get easier to fix with repetition.

I don't believe i need to do more research actually as much as it may seem to you i need to. I have spent the entirety of my life researching WHY I AM the way i am. Your not the only one is this thread whose autistic.

And i can assure you most of what you just said is false. Autism is a person by person thing and no one should ever be lumped together under it.

I don't intend to sway your mind. I am all to aware of the iconic stubborness. I will say that you should do more research of your own by actually talking to other people with autism. Not just reading books about it. Half of the books are utter crap as they are only using a small group and usually more extreme cases.

Property likes this.
    Aeriixion
    Darkness

Aeriixion VIP Member
    VIP Member

I don't know why the hell this turned into a debate over what autism is/isn't.

I'm autistic, but you don't see people constantly calling me out for being weird or some crap. My ability to communicate my thoughts and intentions in a way that others can understand at face value, without reading into it (because there's NOTHING to read into) suffers greatly because of the stringent nature of societal norms and so forth, but it's not as if I'm not a high-functioning individual. From what I've seen and experienced, it's really only people who suffered severe neurodevelopmental issues or gross chemical imbalances that have difficulty getting by. A lot of people, you wouldn't realize they were diagnosed with autism without them telling you.

I really feel that the implied overlap between symptoms of autism and evidence of kinity that Ludwig has indicated here is a bit exaggerated. However, I will acknowledge that there are similarities. My biggest issue is with the assumption that diagnostic criteria make about how people think and how that plays in as a factor in making or breaking a diagnosis. This is where I would bring up societal norms again, as well as culture.

"Autism" is far more prevalent as a diagnosis these days than it ever was in the past, so of course a large number of otherkin may be autistic. But I find it hard to believe that someone would mistake neurodevelopmental issues or chemical imbalances for something so closely intertwined with their identity. If there were any question about it, I would think that the individual would get checked out; most sane people don't want to ostracize themselves from "normal people" just for the sake of being different. What with Tumblr latching on to "otherkin" now, it's become very harmful to social raport to claim such things in public.

Varric, Ludwig and SageYuu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.