1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

The future for psionics

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Onyx Blayne Senior Citizen
    Official Member

i love this field. I love this community, and ive made many friends. This partly follows on from my previous post. I've always seen psionics as something quite serious. That you must be dedicated to do it. I see it like a subject, or course in schools or university. However, i'm worried people are beginnigg to see it as a religion or sect. There is nothing set in stone from psioncs. Even if you spent only 5 minutes reading this forum, you will see that everyone has different expieriences and premises to their psionic ability. The fact (from my perspective) that psionics (not just on this forum) is being viewed and treated as a religion, scares me. It closes off the possibility to question it, instead of viewing criticism and skepticism in an enlightening way, the frown upon it. (As much as it may seem this part actually has nothing to do with my last post). I would like to spark off a debate/conversation as to where people think psionics is going. I love this community, however, if people start acting like this is church and we must follow the teachings, ill look upon this place differently. (THIS IS DIRECTED AT NO ONE)

Chocolate likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

People will always make their own opinions.
    Let them.

People will always practice what they wish and how they wish.
    Let them.

People will believe what they want to believe.
    Let them.

If they see that path as religious.
    Let them.

If they fall to a path that is false and fluff.
    Guide them.

If they refuse that guidance.
    Let them.

You may have an issue with how you perceive things to be. Where they're going. Etc. That's on you though. You can only control yourself and only control your own practices. Let others pick their own paths.

Places will always go through cycles. Through changes. And thats ok.
    Let them.

If you have an issue with that address it but complaining in posts like the one you just made about a problem that is only a problem because you choose to see it as one because others have different ways of practice and acceptance of energy. That. Thats solves nothing. Your only contributing to your own problem. Seems rather redundant.

If you want people to view something differently or change their views you must guide and explain to them why you see it that way. Not just how you see it. But why and what caused that belief as well and also accept they may still refuse.

Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Onyx Blayne Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Thats wise. Thanks for the reply.

Varric likes this.
    Lex Arthur
    Pensive

Lex Arthur Citizen
    Official Member

I feel like your post contains the presumption that most individuals will take offense to any challenge regarding their religious beliefs. While this may be true, I feel like an on-point discussion of theology performed in non-threatening way and developed in a way that avoids disparaging anyone involved can be a rousing conversation that can reinforce those beliefs and prove enlightening for all.

As far as the road that psionics treads going forward will be a complex one. While I too would like to see some facets of it grow in an scientifically-and-empirically-driven environment like universities, I also understand that many will weave it into or base upon it it their religious beliefs and values. This, I believe, is partially due to the sharing of a conceptual cornerstone by the two- faith.

Both religion and many perceptions of psionics contain within them presumptions of matters thought unknowable or otherwise incomprehensible and provide with that experiences that shape how one views the world and their position within it.

For example: Do I know the existence of other planes of reality, beings of awesome metaphysical power, or other spectaclar phenomena? The answer is yes, yet I have never personally experienced the first two. I have no evidence of their existance beyond the testimony of those on this site and sites like it, but I CHOOSE to believe in it anyway even knowing that I have no personal, empirical evidence.

Onyx Blayne and Chocolate like this.
    Thoughtful
    Question

Thoughtful Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Humans are social animals who love to love and love to be loved. Forming groups is biologically known to us as an effective way to accomplish this and we are often fierce in defending these groups out fear of being "left out".

Throughout history the powerful have abused this human trait in the form of politics, religion... etc for personal gain. A large world of divided nation "groups" with even more sub divisions. I believe this to be the cause of most, if not all, suffering and negativity.

Imagine if humans saw the entire species as one group. Think of the progress...

Anyways, if some people came to worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster even though it's obviously satire then I'm the sure the same thing can happen to metaphysics (I've personally seen it as well).

Much like bad/fake science, you can't let the actions of others spoil something you might otherwise enjoy. All you you can do is do something the way you like it, and show others reasons why they should do so as well.

Chocolate likes this.
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos â™›First Elder of the Nationâ™›
    Official Member

Don't know where you got the idea that people are treating psionics as a religion.
    Some talk 'bout religion and it's views on stuff like psionics, but none talked 'bout it as if it was a religion itself.

Chocolate likes this.