1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

The Kinesis and the Genesis

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos ♛First Elder of the Nation♛
    Official Member

Are they the same thing, or should they be considered the same thing?

Recently, when I was training a bit with "pyrokinesis", I was thinking 'bout "What if I could generate fire, instead of just control/manipulate it?" 'cause one thing is having to bring with yourself a way to make fire just so you can manipulate it as you like, another would be to be able to generate it whenever you want, having the fire "at hand".With this mindset I decided to play a bit with my energy and see if I could abuse a bit of my affinity to fire in order to make it happen.

Or course I wasn't able to make a fire ball or even a single flame show in my hand, but that day I learned that I can control/generate Heat, and heat isn't so far from fire.Maybe with a lot of training and a bit of luck, I might achieve the ability to generate real live fire without the necessity to use the gimmicks that magicians use.

This discovery though made me think, what exactly the "-kinesis" allows us to do?If it's just control/manipulation of something that already exists then it means that we can only influence the "matter" so far, and if we were to "fight" against someone or something that had the same ability, then the one that had the most control of it would be the winner.

So kinesis is all 'bout control?

I don't know.If I ask I'm sure that the community would be split between "Yes, kinesis is only 'bout the control" and "No, you can also generate what you'll control".'Cause if we stop to think, as much as we use "-kinesis" with anything, we haven't really gave it a "meaning", what exactly the "-kinesis" allows you to do regarding an ability.That's why I was questioning myself, should the ability to generate the element/matter have a "-genesis" or should we stay with "-kinesis" and in it also put the ability to generate something?

What y'all think 'bout this?Is kinesis the same as genesis?Should they be considered separate?

Lex Arthur
    Pensive

Lex Arthur Citizen
    Official Member

I think that if there was someone who could generate fire or something else associated with a kinetic skill from apparently nothing then that would probably be a distinct enough ability to deserve its own name.

Creating fire wouldn't be that easy unless you introduced something that would actually burn. You would need to physically manifest or otherwise collect flammable matter that is ready to ignite. Won't hear about someone making a fireball from thin air anytime soon because the standard mix of elements in the air isn't combustable.

You could produce an enormous amount of heat in one place, but that wouldn't make fire, just a lot of hot air.

I also think you are forgetting about the people who already don't like the -kinesis system a lot of us have adapted. Don't think they would like a -genesis system for a whole other reason.

Thoughtful
    Question

Thoughtful Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Language is just a means of transferring information. For some these two terms are similar, and for others they are different. Some people use different terms entirely and don't use the ~kinesis system.

Just depends on who you ask.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

Then I'll just call the whole thing by their basic element(ex: "fire", "shadow", "air") and forget 'bout the whole mess that are the suffixes.:sunglasses:

Shattersquad

Shattersquad Citizen
    Official Member

In reality, "kenesis" is a 'novice' form while "genesis" is a 'master' form. It takes the knowledge of control to be able to create, if that makes sense.

Demoplayer and Justiny35 like this.
    Demoplayer
    Inspired

Demoplayer Senior Citizen
    Official Member

All this talk about Kinesis and Genesis make me want to strive for greater things lol XD

#6 Demoplayer, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

Kinesis is just manipulating that which already exists in the moment, genesis is bringing what isn't there into existence. Pyrokinesis there needs to be a fire present, genesis there needs to be something to bring said fire into existence. I would consider them different personally. You don't necessarily have to use the whole kinesis/genesis labels as really all kinesis is just psychokinesis, Genesis would be a "system" all in it's own but seeing as it's not provable just yet a system would be redundant, but honestly people will use whatever they wish, as long as they know the meaning of the word kinesis and genesis and how they differ it should be fine.

jackiejackie
    Fine

jackiejackie Senior Citizen
    Official Member

I always thought of genesis like a subset of kinesis, and here is why.

Pyrokinesis is controlling fire, right? Well not really, it is the control of fire energy, which isn't the same thing. When you use pyrokinesis to heat something up you aren't controlling fire, are you? You are controlling fire energy. When you perform pyrogenesis, you are basically collecting an enormous amount of fire (heat) energy until the air becomes hot enough to emit light. Now this is much easier with fire, electricity, and wind, since they are abstract concepts. Terragenesis and Aquagenesis is something I have never heard of.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

Terragenesis and terraformation are near in name, at least.I only imagine how scary would it be someone that was able to use terragenesis...

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

Depends if there's a such thing as "fire energy" since with kinesis you're just using telekinesis to manipulate the physical element itself.

jackiejackie
    Fine

Official Member

Yeah thats why i was using the heating up example. You don't control fire to heat up something. And yeah, i guess a better term would be "the fire aspect of normal energy

Shattersquad

Shattersquad Citizen
    Official Member

Really it is just about igniting your energy and using that as fuel. The main issue is creating the spark that ignites that energy, while also creating an energy that can easily be ignited. Again, all of this is speculation.

jackiejackie
    Fine

Official Member

I don't think you can ignite energy lol

ShadowNox
    Darkness

ShadowNox Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Tbh the whole notion of "abilities" as it relates to the physical is severely flawed to begin with, which creates messy situations like this. Telekinesis (which is what the -kinesis things are) and "Genesis" would be one in the same because ultimately, the physical is made up of matter and the matter has to be moved to create any physical change. To create fire here, you need three things, for example. If you can use telekinesis to generate energy (aka heat), then you can do the exact same thing to create a fire. They aren't separate at all.

To honestly be fair, affinities don't even play an objective role in what you can manipulate with telekinesis. You can control the wind as much as you can control a flame or sway water. Only really commenting on that since I noticed you mentioned it. Affinities and energy types on a whole are messy things though, so I'll leave that chat for another time.

I don't see the point in naming one thing "-kinesis" and another "-genesis" when scientifically, they are all the same. I wouldn't know how this works outside of this physical plane though but assuming you all care more about results here than a far off place, yeah there's no point.

Shattersquad

Shattersquad Citizen
    Official Member

Exactly this. I've tried saying a few times that it is all the same art, just that "genesis" is more along the lines of 'mastery' of the skill.

Jroc12000

Jroc12000 Senior Citizen
    Official Member

When theres heat theres fire

TheMightyBurger
    Question

TheMightyBurger Citizen

In the general term of physcokinesis, physcogenesis is involved. For instance, at pyrokinesis, it is possible to light up a candle or sth flammable in which situation you generate fire but still refered as pyrokinesis and not pyrogenesis. Pyrogenesis includes pyrokinesis but the 2nd term is used widely to refer to both. I do believe that an advanced pyrokinetic would be able to generate fire out of nothing by lighting up his skin (his hands, let's say) and controlling the fire produced from his body (of course resistance to high temperatures is a must).

Sucker_N
    Amazed

Sucker_N Citizen

For me i think kinesis and genesis are two totally different thing, kinesis is for controlling something, and genesis is about generate or create something.
    And i don't think genesis will be possible, because if u could create matter from thin air, thats mean u can actually control stuff in a atomic level, so u will be god literally.

SageYuu
    Sleepy

SageYuu Third Elder of the Nation
    Official Member

All this is is just limited Em, programming and, live stream/active control programming; with a single 'specialized' energy. Why the hell does it matter if it has some sort of have name? Once you master basic EM and programming and take it to the next step, the only thing left to do is memorize the different sensations associated with each element and the underlying structures, properties, and etc.; and learn how to properly manifest it. From there it's only a matter of power, mental focus, and just generally building it up. Aaaannnnndddd ggggguuuueeessssssssssss what? You do all of that with already with EM alone.

Basically 'gensis' = programming energy to become something else
    Basically 'kinesis' = application of said energy

The main issue I've noticed is that people solely focus on the nature/intensity of said energy more than the flow. More often than not expending and wasting more energy than necessary to maintain the level of 'build up' they have of said energy they are trying to work with. Everything spirals and generally in gradual curving paths or sharp angular directions. The the prior, I find best works when messing with elements.

Now to throw a monkey wrench into your idealistic 'magical view' of energy work and 'elements'; and I'm not going to bother explaining in depth. Instead I am going to let you figure it out for yourselves:

'Lightning element'
    electrons
    physics

Demoplayer likes this.
    The ShadeOfLight
    Thinking

U could use a bit of Wood,charcoal, anything flammable to practice this heat on. Try warming it up and try to make it catch fire