1. Hello Guest! Welcome to Psion Nation. Currently you do not have an account with us so you are limited on what you can see here at the Nation. Sign Up for free you can have access to read all the amazing material. It takes a couple of seconds and your off to learning the Way of the Psion!

Wider acceptance of "dark arts"

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Onyx Blayne Senior Citizen
    Official Member

although at first, mine, and many others abilities are inherently bad, they can be used for a wider good. Alot of members write us off. I believe that by segregating light and dark you are preventing an entire new generation of psions using both, a psionic nephillum if you will. I recently saw a post againsr necromancy. But imagine if we used skills from necromancy and implicated it into healing? Who knows, we could solve doible the spiritual problems alot quicker.

Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Official Member

Sorry i made a large mistake in my last post, i misunderstood a thread and used it in this as an example. Sorry to Abaddon whos thread i misread

Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Official Member

Maybe a seperate forum for dark arts should be made altogether...

greenfire9
    No Mood

greenfire9 Senior Citizen
    Official Member

Good and evil are just human constructs,what exactly do you mean by "inherently bad" ? The magik itself is never truely dark, only the person doing such things can be. To my knowledge necromancy is the contact of human spirits to get information, to me at least that doesn't sounds bad.

SageYuu and Zerachiel like this.
    Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Official Member

Forget the necromancy bit, that was in response to a thread i misunderstood. However the image the mundane "media" and general knowledge course people to look down on the dark arts as "evil". Yes they are man made contstructs but it doesn't mean they don't exist or affect us. You seem to be one of the few who actually see the practicality of togetherness.

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

Personally I see "dark arts" as nothing but a single perception on what said magic does, same with its opposite which if you think about it isn't really an opposite since they can do the exact same thing. In short it's all the same thing under different labels to suit the practitioner.

greenfire9 likes this.
    greenfire9
    No Mood

Official Member

I have learned this many people, religion, and other things seem to forget that we are human to a certain extent and will corupt the image of older things. Here is an example, I have talked to demons before. They were very nice and informative, definitely going near the definition of "teacher spirit".

Zerachiel likes this.
    Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Official Member

Varric

Varric Staff Manager

I don't beleive many people here see a division of dark or light arts really here. It to me has so far seemed to be that there isn't good energy work or bad energy work there is only energy work however you wish to do it

Zerachiel likes this.
    Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Perses Keraunos ♛First Elder of the Nation♛
    Official Member

Never judge a thread by it's title :P
    For the church, any kind of interaction with other beings that weren't the big G, would automatically be evil.
    I would think that "dark arts" would be magic aimed to destroy or harm, but no more different than owning a gun and deciding what to do with it.

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

That's the stereotypical thought of it yes, but any magic/energy work can be aimed to do such so it wouldn't really matter. Outside of personal labeling.

Osiris
    Question

Osiris Site Mediator
    Official Member

It would seem from observing natural flow of societies evolvements, the first steps to widening acceptance to more of the world would be to give it a new name. An example would be Psionic Physics, as this would cause many to acquire an interest in the new field to try to make profit and gain, and others to grow and others to help others or themselves in finding this new subject that is actually energy work, having been around for eons of time. Though acquiring this to such a standard does not mean to simply start calling it something, but rather to have obtained a standard and major discovery that would advance society in such a way it would be recognized as this new name.

greenfire9
    No Mood

Official Member

The church has taught us to fear such things, in older times if you went against the will of the church you would be persucuted and probably executed. The church was a system of fear and control. The some members of the church practiced magic too.
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican29.htm

http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/MagicInTheChurch.html

*note I have no idea if they are reliable sources, but a quick search of "did clergymen ever practice magic" or something simaler will get the near same results. I will stop here as not to derail the thread

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

I said that I "would".That was before I started to branch out and learn a bit 'bout other stuff, instead of focusing on just one.Nowadays I only link dark when it has to do with darkness, but no more the "evil and bad stuff" connections that we see religious people do.
    Other kinds of energy work have their own names, and calling 'em dark arts when most of 'em don't even deal with darkness itself but as a means to say it's evil, is a disrespect to the practitioners.In my view.

Perses Keraunos
    Cool

Official Member

Their only difference, as they claimed, was that their "magic" came from God, so it wasn't 'em doing it, but the big G doing it through 'em.That's why they even have another word for their branch of magic, thaumaturgy.

Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Official Member

From what it looks like everyone has their personal way of percieving it.

Varric likes this.
    Varric

Varric Staff Manager

Well perception is unique to each individual.

This statement brought to you by captain obvious and paid for by viewers like you. Thank you.

Onyx Blayne likes this.
    Onyx Blayne
    Darkness

Official Member

Love you Varric

Ludwig
    Cynical

Ludwig Senior Citizen
    Official Member

This brings up the question on whether or not some things are naturally good or evil. I believe that all things have no moral nature, and that it is based solely off of how you use it.

Zerachiel
    Amused

Zerachiel Senior Citizen

I don't think there is a such thing as naturally good or evil, everything is neutral til perception comes into it.